Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Self-confidence vs. God-confidence


Being self-confident is a good thing, isn't it? I always thought it was. After all, you really shouldn't rely on anyone else to feel good about yourself. So, you look within yourself, into your own inner strengths, gifts, talents, and abilities. All of these things can aid you in becoming a more self-confident person. What is wrong with that? While I do not believe that there is anything wrong with being confident, I have come to learn over the years that if I only look to myself then I will set myself up for failure and disappointments.

Self-confidence means that I am trusting in my own ability to handle circumstances that come my way. No one else's--just mine. The problem is I know that I have weaknesses and shortcomings. I can also be moody at times, and sometimes I am a downright emotional mess. Can I really trust myself to handle situations correctly when I am in that frame of mind? No, I cannot. Let's say I have an important decision to make by a certain day. I procrastinate and wait until the last possible minute and then I make my decision. What if I am having one of those days? Should I really rely on my fickle emotions to make this important decision just because I want to be known as a self-confident woman? I think not!

God-confidence, on the contrary, trusts in God's ability to work through me to handle the circumstances that come my way, not in my own ability. The primary difference is the One to whom you look to handle these various decisions, situations, and circumstances. One focuses on self, the other focuses on God. One looks inward, while the other looks upward. One is about temporary quick-fixes, one is about eternal matters that make a difference.

This has happened to me time and time again, and I am ashamed to admit that I am a slow learner. But I am starting to get it. When you take the time to invite God into the picture, ask for His opinion, and seek His guidance, things just seem to fall into place. Situations that you dreaded turn out to be not so bad after all. Difficult decisions that you made seem to work out. The best part about it is that when you trust God to help you, He will. He promises to help us; He tells us He will never leave us nor forsake us. He will strengthen us and he even does battle on our behalf. What else do we want? Would we rather place our trust in ourselves and hope for the best, or place our trust in God, and rest assured that he is working on our behalf? I don't know about you...but I chose HIM!

For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him. 2 Chron 16:9

Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. Psalm 34:5

1 comment:

Pink Lady said...

How beautifully said, Diana. I also think it's amazing how we often place escalated confidence in other people rather than the Lord. Not only do we place confidence in our own talents and abilities, but we can come to expect others to divinely solve our problems instead of God. I've learned this first-hand as I've ran for the phone for the help of a family member or friend instead of falling to my knees before God. This is such an easy trap to fall into because as you mentioned it is a quick fix but not a long-term, healing solution. Thank you for your inspiring thoughts.