Sunday, December 7, 2008

May I have your attention, please?

I have a question for you. How does God go about getting our attention? Even though God is capable of doing anything He wants in any fashion whatsoever, I have found that He chooses to communicate and get our attention in some very interesting ways. I’ll be quite honest, sometimes I just wish Jesus would come down personally and make Himself tangibly visible to me. He would let me pour out my heart to Him, and then He’d gently cup my face in His hands, wipe away my tears, and speak to me in a gentle and audible voice. He’d give me step by step instructions on how to handle whatever is plaguing me, and then He’d whisper in my ear how confident He is in my ability to handle whatever comes my way.

The longer I have been a Christian the more I have come to experience that God does, in fact, communicate with us; however, often in rather unusual ways. At times He gets our attention through blessings; at other times, through sorrow. There is no limit to how God can speak to a person. In fact, how He chooses to speak to me may be quite different than how He chooses to speak to you. And how He chooses to get my attention and speak to me today may differ significantly from how He chooses to do so five years from now. The bottom line is we cannot limit or put God in a box. He is significantly far greater, far more powerful, far more holy, and far more sovereign than you and I can ever comprehend. Who are we to say that God can’t or God won’t act on our behalf? The Bible is replete with examples of God moving and acting in powerful ways. Take the story of Abraham and Sarah, for example. God promised that He would make a great nation from Abraham. Did you know that Abraham was 75 years old before God spoke and said to him, “Leave your country, your people, and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you. I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you.” Gen 12:1-2. Yet, it was another 25 years before this promise came to fruition and at the ripe ages of 95 and 90 Abraham and Sarah had their promised child, Isaac. To us this sounds so unimaginable, but with God nothing is impossible.

In the Bible we read stories of God getting people’s attention in various and peculiar ways: by giving children at ripe old ages, by talking through burning bushes, by revealing Himself through dreams and visions, and even by speaking through a donkey! We must simply agree that God can get our attention any way He wants!

As a Christian, it is our duty to live keenly responsive to God’s voice. Unfortunately, at times when life is going well, we don’t seem to be as interested in hearing what God has to say. Then something will happen and our lives will be shaken up as we question what God is up to. God is trying to communicate with us and sometimes it takes a little “shake up” for us to listen. Charles Stanley, one of my favorite Christian authors, believes that God gets our attention by giving us a restless spirit, through a word from others, through blessing us in most unusual ways, by unanswered prayer, and by unusual circumstances.

Persistent restlessness can be an indication that God is trying to get your attention. This is not the time to run hastily full steam ahead and make quick, hasty decisions. Rather, it is the time to slow down, seek Him intently, and listen for His voice. Other times God chooses to speak His words to us through other Christians. Of course, we should take all matters to Him and not just act on the advice of a loving friend, but it is important to listen with an open heart for God often chooses to convey His message to us through others. Sometimes God uses unusual blessings to get our attention. Now I like that way! These blessings are not limited to financial ones. He sure gets our attention this way and we recognize that His motive is always out of His incredible love for us. And then there is unanswered prayer. When heaven remains silent, we must take this opportunity to do a thorough self-examination. Look at yourself, your actions, attitudes, and motives under a microscope. Is there unconfessed sin in your life hindering God’s response? Maybe the request is simply not in line with God’s will and your own agenda has to be surrendered. Often God uses disappointments to bring us back to Him to heed His voice.
Lastly, there are the unusual circumstances that seem to come from out of nowhere. These can involve many things such as failure, sickness, financial collapse, and even tragedy. And these more than anything else, get our attention and usually rather swiftly. They are comprised of the major disappointments and deep sorrows in our lives that cause everything to stand still while we cry out, “Where are you God? Do you hear me? Are you with me?” It is in these desperate times that we are captive audiences of God. It is important to remember that God doesn’t necessarily bring calamity upon His people out of disapproval, but at times He does allow them to suffer. Use your disappointments and your pain to turn your attention to God, the true source of all strength, power, and healing. If we call upon and seek Him, He will be found and He will give us the strength to overcome any struggles that come our way. My grace is sufficient for you for my power is made perfect in your weakness. 2 Cor 12:8

Let us become wise and learn to live our lives for the presence of God in all circumstances of life. May we begin to see His almighty hand in every situation—in the good, and yes, even the not so good.

2 comments:

Sonbeam3 said...

As always, very thought provoking and nicely written, Diana. The more we let God out of the box we put Him in, the more blessed we are by seeing His hand at work in our lives. It makes me wonder why I ever put any limits on Him in the first place.

Jeanne said...

Keep up the great thoughts Diana.