Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Security in the Storm

Every human being ever born, whether he or she realizes it or not, craves security. At times we even go to unhealthy extremes to get it. Some people stay in unhealthy relationships for the hope of achieving security; others spend countless hours away from home and family in the pursuit of money expecting that financial security is all they need; and still there are others who become rather self-indulgent anticipating that the beauty treatments, plastic surgeries, and muscularly toned bodies will bring them the love and recognition they so crave. Don’t misunderstand me…we are wired to crave security. Needing to feel loved and taken care of is not wrong. The question is: Where are we going to get it? We must stop and ask ourselves from time to time how much of our security lies in our possessions, position, reputation or appearance. The ironic thing is that we all know that possessions can be destroyed, relationships can be broken, beauty fades with time, and for each one of us death is inevitable.

Real security is found only beyond this life. It can only be found when our security rests in God alone and His unchanging nature. Even though our circumstances change continuously, He is the only constant in our lives. And only with Him can we face this uncertain future with hope and peace.

I just finished studying the Book of Esther and it brought to light that Esther’s life was filled with many challenges and uncertainties. Although she was a beautiful queen who found favor with King Xerxes, the Persian king, her security did not lie in being Queen of Persia. Tradition in those days was rather cruel and it was not uncommon for a king to show his disapproval by killing those who did not respond in an appropriate fashion. In fact, his first wife Queen Vashti was exiled (and possibly killed) for not coming to him when summoned. Queen Esther was a Jewess (unbeknownst to the king) who replaced her. No doubt she walked around on pins and needles wondering what her fate might be. When a plan was made by the king’s right hand man to annihilate all the Jews, she fasted and prayed for three days before she entered into the king’s presence. She knew that she could have been killed simply by not being invited to speak to him. Edicts were irrevocable, and punishment was extreme to say the least. In fact, it didn’t surprise me to learn that the ancient Persians were the ones to come up with the tortuous crucifixion as a means of humiliation and death.

It is interesting to note that although God’s name is not mentioned once in this Old Testament book, it is quite obvious that His name is imprinted invisibly on every single page. He may have appeared to remain “unmentioned or anonymous”, but His work and sovereign plan for Esther’s and the Jews’ lives is clearly evident. In the end, God turned the tables around and the Queen and all the Jews were spared from annihilation.

This makes me wonder how many times God has turned the table around for me and I did not even know it? How many times has he protected me from harm’s way or not allowed me to get something I may have wanted and even prayed for because He alone knew that it would not be good for me. How many times have I grumbled because I didn’t get what I wanted totally unaware of the fact that He was only looking out for my best interest? Maybe that job I wanted would have caused me undue stress and turmoil. Maybe that friendship would have been harmful to me and caused me to stumble. Maybe that extra raise would have allowed me to become greedy and self-reliant. And maybe that period of time when my husband was unemployed was His way of teaching us that He alone is our all-sufficient Jehovah Jireh and provider.

I have learned over the years that nothing takes God by surprise. There are no “coincidences” in life. And yes, sometimes he remains completely anonymous. It our job to seek Him with all of our hearts and He promises we will find Him. It is our job to trust in Him and not in the world. Nothing the world offers can compare to the love and peace and security we find in our relationship with God. Let’s face it…we are definitely living in uncertain times. Many of us don’t know from one moment to the next if we will have a job or not. We certainly cannot rely on the crazy economy we are currently living in and the volatility of the stock market. We don’t know if our health will fail from one minute to the next. And we certainly know that death can come knocking on anyone’s door at any minute. No one is exempt. Don’t think it can’t happen to you or just happens to others. Take it from me. My very own 9 year old son was ushered into God’s presence at a birthday party of all places. As utterly devastating as that was for me, it did not surprise God one bit.

I have learned through much pain and sorrow that God is truly in control of everything and that if I place my trust in Him alone, He will see me through whatever trials or challenges that come my way. No one else I have ever met can do that for me. I have also learned that life is not so much about “smooth sailing” but in whom you trust when the boat begins to rock back and forth or the storms come with a vengeance. Do you trust in your boat’s ability to save you or possibly in the captain who is steering the boat? Or do you trust in the weatherman’s forecast and decide he’s probably wrong anyway? Are you planning to “sail through life” hoping to escape the turbulent waves in your own strength? Or are you willing to surrender self and let God be your ultimate security?” Seriously ponder that question for a little while and let it sink in deep. I hope you choose Him, because I can already see the storms brewing on the horizon.

It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes. Psalm 118:8-9

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in you my soul takes refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed. Psalm 57:1

He who dwells in the shelter of the most high will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

No comments: