Thursday, August 6, 2009

Unceasing Prayer


As Christians we know that Christ lives within us. That means he is in the very center of our physical being. He is in the midst of our brain, and in the midst of our nerve centers. He dwells within us physically and spiritually and the more mindful we are of His presence, the more prayerful we will be. Prayer is nothing more than keeping company with God. Far too long I have limited my prayer time with God to routine morning devotions. It always felt wonderful starting my morning with God and I felt energized and empowered to live a life worthy of Him. However, more often than not, by the time late afternoon arrived, I would find myself becoming impatient, annoyed and quickly falling into that slippery slope of sinfulness. It always bothered me that I could spend such wonderful communion with the Lord and yet by the end of the day all visible traces of any godliness were totally absent. It is becoming apparent to me that not only is setting aside time each day for solitude with God imperative, I must learn to walk “moment by moment” with Him. Only then will I be able to truly live out the Christian life God desires for me. How do you keep company with God like that?

The Bible gives us the answer… pray unceasingly (1 Thes 5:17). But how on earth can we pray unceasingly? We have jobs to do, places to go, people to meet. I believe I found the answer this morning in my quiet time with the Lord. Unceasing prayer means keeping company with God all the time. It is conversing with Him frequently throughout the day because we realize that He is with us all the time. There is never a time we are apart. We become so conscious of God that we begin to include Him in every detail of our lives. And yes, it means we inquire of Him before we make decisions…both big and small. It means knowing He cares so much about us that He desires to help us in making our choices. Lord, is this the right time for our family to own a pet? Lord, what type of washing machine should I purchase? Lord, I need help in managing my finances. Lord, should I apply for this job? God wants to be in every facet of our lives. Not just our morning devotions! Yet, how often do we just leave Him there, forgetting to invite Him into the rest of our day? I have been guilty of doing that over and over and then I wonder why things just didn’t turn out quite right. I prayed to you this morning Lord. Wasn’t that enough?

Corrie ten Boom, a wonderful and dedicated Christian, once said, “Is prayer your steering wheel or is it your spare tire?” Wow! That is powerful. That is a challenge for all of us. I know there is more of God to discover. Deeper conversations to be had. More secrets from His Word to be revealed. We have to remember though that prayer is not some “magical formula” that will grant us all our wishes. Prayer is an integral part of our relationship with God. Prayer is simply talking with God. It is pouring out our soul to Him, telling Him our deepest desires, our hurts, and our concerns. One of the primary ways God speaks loudly is through the pages of the Bible. It is our job to listen, to meditate and ponder on what He says. He will comfort us, encourage us, challenge us, convict us, and show us a larger view of Himself if we but take the time to immerse ourselves in His Word. But when He speaks, He also requires a response from us. We communicate that response in prayer. It may be silent reverence, it may be thanksgiving, it may be repentance, it may be commitment, or it may be a yielding of our own will to His. The Bible will change our prayer life and lift it to new heights.

I have a challenge for you (and me)--next time you find yourself worrying, immediately begin to pray. Tell God what you are worried about and let His peace flow through you. You must always remember that He is in control. Worrying does not help us one bit. When you find yourself not knowing what to say to a friend in need, quickly ask God to whisper to your heart and give you the right words. When you need to make a quick decision about something, step away for a moment, and ask the Lord for guidance in making the right choice.

As we begin to live a life of prayer in fellowship with our Lord, we will begin to experience a peace that is independent of feelings or circumstances. This is one of the many blessings God gives to His children. And always remember, we are never alone. God is with us always, beckoning and wooing us to come to Him.

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thes 5:16-18

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God; And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Joshua 1:5

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Hi Diana,
thanks for continuing to post your words of inspiration!

Sonbeam3 said...

Recently reread some of Brother Lawrence's Practicing the Presence of God. It's very much the same message and so encouraging. The slower I go about my daily chores, errands, etc, the easier it is to practice His Presence throughout the day. The minute I start speeding up or hurrying, the peace leaves. I totally agree that we need to give all our decisions to Him. It's amazing how He guides us when we do that. He cares about ALL the details. It's exciting to be one of His children! Thanks for the great post.