Thursday, April 15, 2010

Forgive and Forget


I excitedly hurried downstairs to wish my husband a happy anniversary. It had been 19 years filled with love and joy, as well as pain and sorrow, and all the other ups and downs expected in a good marriage. What I didn’t expect was the look of shock on my husband’s face. He was mortified as he totally forgot our anniversary. He always bragged about how he could never forget it since it is just two before taxes are due—April 13th. I did not want to add more grief to his already sorrowful emotions, so I simply said, “That’s okay. I know you have a lot on your mind.” He left for work deeply troubled over his ability to forget something so important. I’ll never forget what he said as I was trying to excuse his forgetfulness. “You only get so many anniversaries in your lifetime, 50 if you’re extremely fortunate, and there is simply no excuse to forget even one of them.” I must admit, deep down, it felt a little good that he was so remorseful over the whole thing. At least I knew he did care for me.

Later on that day I took a long walk outside. It was a sunny day and the temperature was perfect. It is amazing how a beautiful day can put a spring in your step. I was listening to my Ipod and praising God as I was happy to be alive and well. I did share a few small tears over the mere thought that a day so important to me could literally fly off the radar screen for someone I loved so much. Yet, I could hear God whisper to me, “Diana, I haven’t forgotten. Happy Anniversary, my child. I love you.” And then it occurred to me that He loves me so immeasurably more than I can even imagine. Can’t that be good enough? Must I always want more from others? Others who make mistakes and are just as human as I am? In those moments with Him, I realized that YES, it is enough. God’s love and affirmation is truly all I need. Everything else is just “icing on the cake.” In fact, I am convinced that is why I was able to forgive him so easily. I would not allow the enemy to wound me by attempting to make me feel unloved. I know that I am a child of God who is loved very much indeed. No human error will ever erase that fact.

It also occurred to me that God is a God who never forgets. And He sees everything, even those seemingly menial tasks that we do for our family day after day… endless loads of laundry, dirty dishes that never remain clean, tedious meal preparation, etc., etc. He sees and He knows. The tears you cry for your hurting friend, the insecurity you feel when you’re having a bad day, and the pain you feel in your heart when your kids make bad choices. Yet time after time we tend to run to others to make us feel better. Why can’t we just run to Him? He alone knows and sees!

I challenge you, as well as myself, to forgive those who let you down, and then remember that only God can never forget. Remember, He has even engraved you on the palms of His hands. I sincerely believe the more we run to Him, the less we will expect of others. And the ironic thing is, when He is all we need, we’ll gain even more. We’ll gain peace of mind, security, and trust, because we know that He never forgets.

Just so you know, God gave my husband an opportunity to redeem himself on our anniversary. That afternoon our daughter fell and slightly twisted her ankle, and the school nurse could not contact me. She called my husband, and he left work to pick her up. When I came home from work that afternoon, he was standing in the kitchen, a dozen red roses and a lit candle were on the table, and a lovely dinner was cooking in the oven. Isn’t God just amazing? I forgave my husband by letting the matter go and instead received God’s love and affirmation. And because God doesn’t forget—Lo and behold, my hubby pulled through!

Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me. Psalm 27:10

…though she may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palm of my hands. Isaiah 49:15

Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven….for with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Luke 6:37

No comments: