Friday, August 27, 2010

Perception = Reality

Francis Frangipane wrote in Holiness, Truth and the Presence of God, “We perceive God through the filter of our need for Him.” I pondered on this statement for quite some time and came to the conclusion that Mr. Frangipane is 100% correct. I’ve been baffled why so many Christians who know and love the Lord find little time to draw closer to Him. I’m not trying to be critical or cynical about mankind, but what is it about human nature that he continuously strives to be self-reliant and independent of God? That is, of course, until a crisis arises. Then we are right there on our knees, crying out to God, and praying fervently for help. In His goodness and love, He grants us mercy and grace to help us.

A little equation that has in recent years been impressed upon me is Perception = Reality. In other words, what you perceive to be truth becomes your reality. If I perceive that someone does not like me, I will act accordingly, and probably go out of my way not to talk to that person. I may inadvertently even appear stuck-up or unkind. Before long my perception that I am not liked will probably become true because of my ugly attitude and unnecessary behavior. Or, if I perceive that I am heavy and unattractive, I will most likely not be diligent in any sort of exercise or weight loss program because I will be down on myself. My negative perception of myself will skew my reality as it screams loud and clear—Why should I bother doing anything to properly take care of my health and physical appearance?

Now let’s use this equation on the spiritual side of things. If everything in my life appears to be going good, my job is satisfying and rewarding me financially, my relationships are all flourishing, and my health is strong, I may not feel the need to connect with God on a regular basis. My perception is that things are just fine as they are, therefore, I may exert little effort in the area of pursuing God on a deeper level. Why? Because my perception is that things are going well enough on their own and presently I don’t need much from God. So, my reality becomes “Why bother going deeper?” Excuse me for sounding redundant, but since I perceive things are fine without pursuing a deeper relationship with God, my reality becomes that it is not necessary for me to do so, and in my sinful, flesh-filled human nature, I will likely do little to nothing to pursue God on a deeper scale.

On the other hand, if I recognize and perceive my need for God in order to live a fulfilling and abundant life, my reality will become my quest to draw closer to Him through solitude, prayer, and reading of the Word. The “awareness” of my inadequacy without Him becomes the fuel which propels me toward finding deep significance, thereby pursuing a satisfying relationship with Him. My perception is that life without God is meaningless and futile, and my reality becomes that I absolutely must seek after Him with all of my heart and hunger for Him as I do for my daily bread. Then I will not be guilty of only seeking after Him when a crises arises and then settling for mediocrity again when it passes, but will continue to hunger and thirst for Him knowing that He is the Answer to all of my deepest longings.

No matter where you are in your faith walk, and whether or not you consciously recognize it, God alone is the fulfillment of our chief desire in all of life. Consider yourself richly blessed when your spiritual eyes have been opened and your hungry soul has been satisfied by the Living God, the true Bread of Life. No longer will the former things satisfy. Rather you will be on your way to a more meaningful, purpose-driven, and abundant life—one that only God can supply.

“Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.” John 6:35

“But seek first his kingdom and righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:33

“Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.” Isaiah 55:2

No comments: