Monday, November 22, 2010

Taken Aside

Taken Aside

There are times in every Christian’s life when his circumstances warrant a question of the Almighty. “What in the world are you up to, Lord? Why is this happening to me and what do you want me to do about it?” No matter how strong you are in the faith, trials and testings will still come. Personally, I am going through one such test right now. After a routine medical procedure, it was discovered that I need to undergo major surgery. While thrilled beyond words that my mass is not cancerous, the reality of what is coming my way is very frightening. I consider myself strong in the faith, yet I must confess that on numerous occasions my emotions have taken on a life of their very own. Confusion, fear, and bewilderment have been constant companions. But so have peace, comfort, and acceptance. Does my faith seem any less genuine if I ask God why He is allowing me to go through this trial? I think not. I have learned over the years that God is indeed a big God and can handle anything I ask of Him. He knows that we are still flesh and blood, weak and wounded, and vulnerable and needy. In fact, I believe He lovingly approves when we come to Him in humility seeking mercy for our every need.

As I pondered on the challenges and trials that come to all of us as earthly inhabitants, God reminded me that He uses these difficult times to grow our faith in ways that nothing else does. I have been so busy lately—totally preoccupied with my very own “to do” list. Many of these are good things, some are urgent, and they demand my utmost attention. God has His own list of things too that He wants to accomplish through me, and yet I realize that there has been little time in my full life to give heed to the more important things. Isn’t it ironic that the urgent always wins over the important? So I had to ask myself, “Could it be that God is shutting me up to faith? Is He allowing some great challenge to isolate me once again unto Himself so that I can fully listen to His soft, still voice? Is He trying to give me a fresh revelation of Himself and remind me of the purposes He has created me for?" My devotions today led me to Mark 7:33, the story of Jesus healing the deaf and mute man. For the first time ever, I noticed that Jesus took him aside, away from the crowd, before he healed him. If Jesus chose to heal this man privately, then surely being isolated unto God by whatever means He chooses can be a very good thing!

I believe if we look with the eyes of faith we will see God in every single challenge and situation. Every sickness, every loss, every sorrow, and every disease has to pass through the hands of our loving Father. He does not willingly bring or cause His children heartache, but at times He does allow it. Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him who have been called according to His purpose.”

Moses was sent away to live for 40 years in the wilderness before He was prepared to do God’s work. He was an 80 year old, faith-filled man before God was ready for him to lead the Israelites out of Egypt. Paul and Silas, zealous for God, were locked up in prison with their feet in stocks waiting expectantly for deliverance. Even in their darkest hours, in the solitude of their captivity, they sang praises to God. The aging disciple John was exiled to the Isle of Patmos where he was left to die. Yet it was in this isolated place where he received the glorious visions of God, and thereafter wrote the book of Revelation. During these seemingly dark and confusing times God was mightily at work. Their faith was being tested and proved genuine as they expectantly waited for God to work on their behalf. I believe that is our solution also. Rather than continuously question why these things are happening to us, why not expend our energy by renewing our focus on Jesus? We must always remember that He remains in control, no matter how out of control our lives may seem. May we look for the hand of God in all our circumstances, and then fix our eyes on Jesus in full assurance that He is actively interceding on our behalf. He promises to never leave or forsake us. We must continue to believe that He indeed is working all things together for our good, and that there will be blessings and deeper revelations of God that will come to us as well as others that never could have otherwise. Our job is to surrender all of our cares to Him and trust Him wholeheartedly. He can handle the rest.

"I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." Psalm 27:13-14

"The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song." Psalm 28:7

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this hope-filled praise and testimony! May God bless you during this difficult time as you have blessed me with your lovely words of hope that I so needed to fill my heart. As anxiety has crept its way so relentlessly back into my mind and heart, your words are a song to my ears. They help me to recognize that all of God's people are suffering in some way, but it's up to us to continue to seek Him forcefully and diligently and He will be there no matter what! Thank you and God bless you! You are in my prayers! Love,Pinkladi