Monday, March 7, 2011

Reflective Rest

Throughout our entire lives we are told of the importance of rest. Our physical bodies need at least 7-8 hours of rest every night in order to properly function, but too often we neglect to give our spirit the rest it needs. In six days God created the heavens and the earth and on the seventh day, even GOD rested. “Come away with me for a little while to a quiet place and get some rest” says the Lord. God knows that we fill our lives with busyness and that we get weary and so desperately need to rest.

Rest, rest, rest. Maybe you view “resting” as a waste of time—precious time that you cannot afford to throw away on mindless activity. After all, there is still so much to be done. Lately I feel that God is calling me not to so much “Do” but to “Be.” Let me explain. I have been working through a devotional called Answering God’s Call to Quiet and today’s message was all about reflective rest. In other words, resting while reflecting on the past. It inspired me to look at resting in a new light. When we reflectively rest, we recall the past and some of its lessons. Even more, reflectively resting provides a time and place for us to remember God’s goodness to us, His provision, even through dark times, and His extravagant love for us. “Wait a minute!” you may be thinking. “I am not going back to my painful past. My life was filled with sorrow and disappointment. Why on earth would I want to reflect about that?” Let me inspire you with some words of wisdom by the author, Neva Coyle. No matter how painful your past may have been, reflection is often the best way to realize that it is only by God’s mercy that some of us have survived at all. It is absolutely necessary to remind ourselves of circumstances that could have, in all actuality, completely destroyed us, but didn’t. We have to remind ourselves that God, in His mercy, saw us through, brought us out, and lifted us up. The mere fact that you are reading this today means that you survived your past, your pain, and you are alive today. Regardless of how you may feel your life has been up to the present point, the fact remains that God has seen you through. You are here now, and because of His great love you have not been consumed.

When we take the time to reflect on our lives, we can evaluate where we have been and where we go from here. When filtered through God’s perspective, we can now see the lessons we learned along the way. The very thing we thought would destroy us actually strengthened us while transforming our character. Often it is only in looking back that we gain strength to move forward because we can now see God’s involvement in our yesterdays. This gives us the strength we need to face tomorrow, no matter what may come.

When I take the time to reflect on my past I am filled with gratitude. When I see the direction my own footprints were taking, along with the tears of remorse I shed over my failures and sins, and then I see the tears of joy for my successes, along with the new set of footprints I followed, I can truly say that I would be a fool to not trust God. Reflective rest has given me new sight—sight to see that God’s handprints have been all over my life, even in moments of apparent defeat. In reality, He has guided and taught me through the pain of my past, which has led me to where I am today. How could I ever doubt that He will continue to be with me no matter what comes my way? Or doubt that He is not able to help me now? Reflecting on my past is my assurance that God is able to do immeasurably more than I can ever conceive or imagine. It provides me with tangible reminders that bolster my confidence that God will continue to care for me in the present and in the future.

If you think God has forgotten you or doesn’t care, I must tell you that you are wrong. He is the same God that He was yesterday, is today, and will be tomorrow. He is the only One who doesn’t change like the shifting sand. He is the only One we can count on to never leave nor forsake us. He is the only One who is bigger than all of our pain and trials, and He is the One who will see us through them.

If you are living in difficulty right now, may I encourage you to take some time for reflective rest? Believe me, it is not an idle waste of time. No matter how painful your past may have been, remind yourself that you are here today because you are a trophy of God’s loving grace. He has plans for you, and they are to prosper you, not to harm you. You may think you are in need of a little polishing up, and maybe that is true. But you are a priceless treasure to God and when He allows various difficulties to come your way, He is using them to polish you into His image. Do not be discouraged…do not be dismayed…for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. And one day, that beautiful trophy will shine brightly because Jesus will be reflected in you.

Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the Lord has been good to you. Psalm 116:7

Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his passions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23

Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:28-29

No comments: