Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Heart of Love

The cold, snowy days have finally ushered in the month of February. The highlight of this chilly winter month is probably Valentine’s Day, symbolizing a day of love. Nothing warms the heart like red roses and chocolate hearts freely given to our loved ones as tokens of our love and appreciation. Being the chocolate lover that I am, it would be quite natural for my favorite gift to be some form of chocolate. But not just any kind—I prefer the dark, bittersweet variety over the creamy, milky kind. Could it be that I am justifying my habitual cravings by insisting that the darker variety has more cocoa, and is therefore much healthier?

Just as my favorite chocolate is bittersweet, February has always represented a “bittersweet” month for me. Several birthdays are celebrated this month including my husband’s, my sister’s, as well as my own birthday. Yet, nestled in all these “happy birthdays” are some very sad days too as they represent the anniversary dates of loved ones who have passed away. Most significantly for me, my very own son.

Though it has been many years, 19 to be exact, since I last saw his beautiful face, sometimes it feels like just yesterday. Other times, it seems like it has been an eternity. How does one make it through such sorrow you might ask? Being the seasoned mourner that I am, I can honestly tell you that contrary to popular belief, “time is not what heals the wounds.” JESUS is. I can ditto the emotions of a Christian song’s lyrics, “Heal the wound, but leave the scar. A reminder of how merciful you are.” For Jesus was merciful to me. He forgave me my sins and wooed me to Himself for He was fully aware of how much help I needed. He alone understood the internal anguish I was in and He knew that He alone could satisfy the deepest longings in my heart.

Jesus unequivocally and solitarily is the One who gave me a reason to live again, this time with Him in the center of my life. He is the One who filled my broken heart with joy, and gave me beauty for ashes. Before you think I was a super Christian who had it all together, I must inform you that I was not! I was as carnal a Christian as they come. Hedonistic you might even add. Worldy pleasures, selfishness…you get the picture? Has my grieving been easy? Absolutely not. Have I cried out in pain? Have I questioned why? Have I begged Him for help? Most definitely, yes.

In the deepest, darkest pit, Jesus heard my faint voice. He reached down to lift me out of the mire, out of the pit of destruction. For He had plans for my life. Plans I knew nothing about at the time. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart.” Jeremiah 29:11.

All that my mind could conceive was how to make it through yet one more day. There was no foresight or thought for my future. However, Jesus sees it all—the beginning and the end. He would not waste a single tear. And He won’t waste yours either. Can I encourage you to turn to the One who understands every little pain, every sorrow, every hurt? No only does he care about the most minuscule concern you may have, He can also handle the biggest obstacle you have ever faced. He wants to journey with you through it all.

So this Valentine’s Day as I reflect on my loved ones, my thoughts wander to my first-born, the son of my youth, my little angel in heaven. I thank God for his life, as brief as it was. For through his death, Jesus taught me about life and love. I’ve learned that Love is the most wonderful gift we can give one another. So, let’s not wait for Valentine’s Day. Let us love one another passionately everyday. Not just the people closest to us, but also the ones we find hard to get along with. And let us not forget about the stranger. He may need a friendly smile to warm his weary or broken heart. And Jesus may just want to extend His love to him through You!

Happy Valentine’s Day Derrick. Happy Valentine’s Day Jesus.

I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. The cords of death entangled me, the anguish of the grave came upon me; I was overcome by trouble and sorrow. Then I called on the name of the Lord: “O Lord, save me!” Psalm 116:3-4

A new command I give you: "Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34-35

2 comments:

Sonbeam3 said...

Years ago when I got the phone call that my brother's only son had died unexpectedly, I 'randomly' opened my Bible to Psalm 62: "My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken." That first part - My soul finds rest in God alone - became truth to me. No one could comfort me during that time. I had to keep turning to God. Your blog reminded me that He alone is our comfort. He does carry us through by His grace. And He is using you to be a light to others.
Be blessed.

Jeanne said...

So beautifully written and tenderly given as a reminder. A reminder to LOVE the Lord through every moment of this journey and in so loving the Lord, we love and embrace others as well.
Thank you Diana.
Happy Birthday to you!