Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Letter from Heaven

In this fast-paced society in which we now live, most communications that come our way are in the form of e-mails, text messages, and junk mail. How often do you get a letter from a friend or a loved one? It is a rare but joyous occasion when I go to the mailbox and find a letter amongst the many daily pieces of junk mail. I usually tear open the envelope because I can’t wait to read what personal message is inside just for me. I think most people enjoy receiving personal letters or note cards. They have a way of making us feel “special”, because someone took the time to sit down and handwrite a message to us. Maybe they just miss us, or are thanking us for a kind gesture, or encouraging us through difficult times. Whatever the reason, I’m sure you would agree that a personal handwritten note can truly set one’s heart soaring!

So, I have a simple question for you. If God was the one who sent you a letter, would you read it? Would His letter bring you the same enthusiasm and excitement as a letter from a friend? His letter would be full of encouragement and He would spur you on to be your very best. He would profess his absolute love and devotion to you and even let you know of things to come. This letter would be packed with insight and even give you tips on how to deal with unruly children or a difficult neighbor. Best of all, this letter would be written specifically with You in mind. I’d like to think that everyone would shout “Absolutely” and be very interested in hearing what God had to say.

Now I have another question for you. When was the last time you opened your Bible and spent time reading and meditating on it? Hopefully, you can say with confidence, “Yes, today, in fact!” Can I propose to you that the Bible IS God’s letter to you? It is His love letter directed personally to you; it is His words of affirmation and encouragement concerning you; it is His plans for your prosperous and successful future; and it is even His revelation about what is to come. Now who wouldn’t want to read a letter like that?

Although I’m quite sure many might possibly want to read it, I also believe that many will not take the time to do so. Other things will get in the way. Kids, work, and a busy schedule are sure to be the most common excuses. Now I’m not trying to put you on a “guilt trip”. Believe me, I’ve been there myself. Unfortunately for me, I waited until catastrophe struck my home and then I was desperate to hear from God. Had I taken the time to get to know my Maker sooner, I would have known exactly where to go in my letter for the forgiveness, consolation, healing, and peace I so craved. So, please don’t follow in my footsteps and wait for trials to come before you pursue a relationship with God. Get to know Him now. In His letter, He tells you all about Himself and what He is like. Once you know Him, you can’t help but Love Him. Obeying Him will become easier and His commands will no longer seem burdensome.

So next time you look at that dusty bookshelf with a myriad of choices, remember God’s letter nestled in between all those other books. He is waiting for you to open it and attentively read it. It surpasses any book of romance, mystery, intrigue, or suspense. In addition, it will supply just what you need for today. Whether that comes in the form of encouragement, or the resolution to a problem you’ve been facing, or to a feeling of love and acceptance filtering deep down into your soul, His letter has the power to transform your very life. How do I know this? I know because it has changed mine. I’m living proof. His letter is never boring, and the more I read it, the more addicted I become to it. Even though I may read the same chapter today that I read last year, it will speak to me in a fresh way concerning my situation today. It is replete with love, wisdom, guidance, and encouragement. More than anything, God’s letter to me has given me Hope. Hope for a brighter today and Hope for an eternity in heaven with Jesus. I know it will do the same for you.

So what are you waiting for? It’s your love letter from God and He is waiting for you to read it. The wisdom He imparts to you through His written Word will bless you in unimaginable ways. Go ahead, open it. You won’t regret it. I promise.

For the word of God is active and living, sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates to dividing the soul and the spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Heb 4:12

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105

No comments: