Monday, December 6, 2010

Fear Not


There is no emotion known to man as debilitating as fear. Fear causes panic, dread, fright and apprehension and produces a stressful reaction to the body. It has a paralyzing effect as it renders one unable to think logically or act intelligently. It has a mind of its very own and can lead to a downward spiral very quickly. The opposite of fear is peace. Where fear causes trepidation and angst, peace offers a still calmness and tranquility.

True peace is a gift from God. It is total well-being and inner rest of spirit, no matter what your circumstances may be. Jesus’ peace is real and present and the only antidote to a troubled heart. Have you ever taken notice how many times in the Bible Jesus commands us not to be troubled or afraid? God knew that left to ourselves we would wallow in self-pity and be consumed by fear. Yet He also provided us with everything we need to overcome this fear—Faith. Our faith in Jesus’ ability to rescue us from the storms of life is what overcomes our fears.

Fear has been a part of mankind from the very beginning. Fear crept into humans after the serpent tempted Adam and Eve to sin. In Chapter 3 of Genesis when God was calling to Adam and Eve, Adam answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.” In Deuteronomy 1 when the spies were sent out to look over the land that the Lord was giving the Israelites, God commanded them not to be afraid or discouraged. In Joshua 1:9 again God commanded the Israelites to be strong and courageous and not to be terrified or discouraged for He Himself would be with them wherever they went. In Matthew 8 when the disciples were in the boat with Jesus and the furious storm came upon them, they were filled with fear. After they awakened Jesus He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Later when they saw Jesus walking on the water they were again terrified and thought they saw a ghost. Jesus immediately told them to take courage and not to be afraid (Matthew 14:29). At another time when Jesus was speaking to a crowd, some men came from the house of Jairus, a synagogue ruler, and told him that his daughter was dead. Ignoring what they said, Jesus told Jairus, “Don’t be afraid; just believe!” (Mark 5:35-36)

I believe all these Biblical stories were preserved as examples to not allow fear to overtake and consume us. Psalm 56:3 confirms that in this world we will have fears. When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. It does not say, if I am afraid, it says when I am afraid. In other words, we will have moments when we are afraid. Tom Holladay, a pastor of Saddleback Church says, "We may want a life of no fears, but that only happens in heaven. In this life we're all going to face fears of one kind or another." At this time in my life that is very reassuring to me as I have been facing my own fears about my impending surgery. I have come to learn that when we become fearful, we must immediately focus our eyes on Jesus and let Him fight our battles for us. Prayer is God’s prescription for our troubled and fearful hearts. When we pray it takes the focus off of us and onto God. The more we pray, the more we experience God’s peace. The ironic thing is that Jesus Himself said that in this world we will have troubles, but He also said that we are to take heart, for He has overcome the world. When we are worried and anxious, we must pray. When we find ourselves becoming angry or bitter, we must pray. When we are fearful, we must go to God in prayer. In fact, we should go to God in prayer over everything and often. “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7.

When we cast our cares upon Jesus, something supernatural occurs. We become filled with a peace that truly surpasses all understanding. How wonderful to know that we are loved and tenderly taken care of by the God who created the Universe, and to know that we are His prized possessions, the apple of His eye. Anything that concerns us, concerns Him. Furthermore, He is the One who holds the entire Universe in His hands and can do exceedingly and abundantly more than we can ever ask or imagine. He asks us to allow our faith in Him to overcome any fears that we have. I believe that coming to His throne room of grace in authentic worship and prayer is what moves God to act on our behalf. He delights in giving His children blessings and peace. "If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him." Matthew 7:11

When you pray, don’t forget to add thanksgiving to your conversation with God. When you add thankfulness, especially during difficult times, you are praying a “by faith” prayer. By faith, you believe that God is who He says He is, that His Word is true, and that He will cause all things to work for good for those who love him. Thankfulness moves beyond what you may “feel” to acknowledge God’s behind-the-scenes work in the world and in your life regardless of what you may visibly see. Sometimes His work is apparent and visible; sometimes it is not. Thankfulness acknowledges that no matter what the outcome, you believe that He is able and that He is good—all of the time.

Next time fear begins to rear its ugly head, cast your burdens on the Lord and immediately lay them at the foot of the cross. Remember that overcoming fears may involve a process, and is not necessarily automatic, especially if you feel the fear coming back. The enemy of your soul, Satan, wants you to remain fearful and will try everything he can to keep you anxious, worried, and frightened. Remain steadfast and don't give up, but keep bringing your concerns and fears to the Lord through honest prayer and petition. Fill your mind with the perfect Word of God and then allow Yahweh Shalom, the Lord of Peace, to bestow on you His divine favor and fill you with His perfect peace. He will do it, for He who promised is faithful.

You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast because he trusts in you. Isaiah 26:3

Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. Isaiah 43:1-3


Peace I leave you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not be afraid. John 14:27


For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.
2 Timothy 1:7

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Diana-
Thank you so much for this beautiful reaffirmation that God carries our burdens and we are not to fear. I know how loudly these words of God must be speaking to you now and it sounds as if you definately know where the hope and peace reside. I say that I do as well; however, your and God's words speak loudly to me as well through this wonderful blog you have written. I find myself repeadedly wracked with anxiety, fear and panic more times than not on a daily basis. I has become so unbearable at times that I know not what to do but just cry and pray for Jesus to help me. When I become so panic-stricken, I cannot think straight to give praises, only to beg for mercy and help. My most favorite words to speak to myself this past week are "Think only those things that are good and noble." I apologize, I cannot remember where these words appear in the Bible, but I know they are there and I use them often. Many times when one is riddled with anxiety in this manner, it is very difficult to pinpoint the specific fearful thoughts or I would call them out and tell them to flee. I pray for the Lord to release me of this affliction and I often ask "Why must I suffer so?" However, I know you are right. I may not draw as close to Him as needed if I didn't suffer with this affliction. As you so beautifully said, our trials and sufferings build character in Christ and draw us closer to Him. He is our only answer, we have no choice but to run to him. I love to journal my prayers rather than speak them outright, and many times, my prayer begins "Here I am Lord on my knees, at your feet once again begging for mercy. Even though I suffer daily, He has never let me down. I love feeling His presence wash over me like a warm blanket, but you're right, it's only when I surrender and stop trying to control and fix everything-like how anxious or panicked I'm feeling, and let him take it for me does this glorious peace wash over me. I has taken as much as 2 hours of constant prayer and pleading before this may happen and I think it's because my fervent prayers and crying are music to His ears. He finally gets all of my devotion and attention at that point. You are such a blessing! Thank you for your beautiful and insightful words of encouragement. God Bless you! Pinkladi