Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Power of Prayer


Have you ever wondered if your prayers truly matter in the big scheme of things? How often have you told someone you would pray for them and then totally forgot to do so? I have been guilty of both wondering and forgetting. God has been showing me a lot about prayer lately. First of all, that praying IS a big thing, and that it DOES matter. And that He hears every thing we ask, and He is moved to compassion on behalf of our prayers for others.

I myself have been the recipient of powerful prayer lately. I know, without a doubt, that many, many prayers were offered unto God on my behalf. The last 6 weeks of my life have been filled with confusion, fear, and uncertainty. When a routine colonoscopy revealed that my colon contained a huge adenoma (polyp) that had to be surgically removed, I was dumbfounded. I was always the epitome of great health. I could not understand why this was happening. After all, I was having such a great year. A few months previously, my memoir was published, I had given numerous testimonies of God’s healing in my life, and I was filled with a holy passion and desire to fulfill the purposes He created me for. This certainly seemed like some kind of mistake. Or at the very least, a “divine interruption,” as my pastor would call it.

During these weeks, I have prayed longer and more fervently for physical healing than ever before. My health and God’s healing was foremost on my mind. I tried hard to just “Leave it with Jesus.” Day after day I would find myself having to trust again and leave my fears and concerns at the foot of the cross. After waiting for seven long days, I found out that the adenoma biopsy did not appear to be cancerous. Praise God! I had to undergo a few more very embarrassing tests which revealed that the only way this “thing” in body could be removed would be through a laparoscopic anterior resection. In other words, a foot of my colon would be cut out. As I prepared myself mentally and physically for this surgery, a peace began to fill my soul. The power of intercessory prayer was at work on my behalf.

The morning before my surgery my thoughts turned to Jesus, my Savior. Even though I still had some angst about the entire procedure, for once I thought not about myself, but about the suffering He endured on the day He was crucified for me and you. There was no anesthesia or morphine for Him. No, He walked that agonizing path of pain all alone for us. I cannot even begin to fathom the intense anguish that filled His soul that evening in the Garden of Gethsemane. He said, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.” Matthew 26:37. He sweat drops of blood over what was to take place later that day. He sought out His Father and prayed fervently for this cup to be taken from Him. Then He prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.” Matthew 26:42. He knew exactly what awaited Him--the humiliation, the pain, the torture, and the isolation. Not even His disciples would stay awake and pray for Him. How utterly alone He must have felt.

As I thought of what the Lord endured for me, I gained strength. I knew that He was not asking anything of me that He would not enable me to handle. Besides, He has given me a wonderful family and friends to support me. Best of all, He’s assured me that He would never leave me nor forsake me. He would be with me through it all. I believed Him. I asked God to use this experience to teach me something new and to draw me closer to Him. The surgery is all behind me. I am at home now slowly recovering. In His faithfulness, He has shown me the tremendous power of and privilege of intercessory prayer. I am forever grateful to all those who boldly went before the throne of grace on my behalf for my healing. I am thankful to the friends who came before my surgery to pray for my strength. I am thankful for those who visited me in the hospital, held my hands, and prayed over me. I am thankful to the others who used modern day technology and prayed to God while we are on the telephone. And I am thankful to those who silently whispered their prayers to God. Prayer unleashes the power of God. And this time around, I was the thankful recipient.

There are a few things I have learned about intercessory prayer.
1. God commands us to pray for others.
2. God’s power is unleashed on their behalf when we pray.
3. We pray for others out of love for them and out of love for God.

Don’t ever think for a moment that your prayers don’t matter. They do. They don’t have to be long and eloquent either. They can be simple, yet heartfelt. I have found one of the best ways to pray over others is to pray Scripture. Just insert their name and remind God of His promises. For instance, "Lord, you promise that you will cause all things together to work for good for (insert name). I pray that you would strengthen my friend according to the riches of your glory, with power through Your Spirit in her inner person, so that Christ may dwell in her heart through faith."

Can you commit to praying for just one person for a few minutes each day? It can be your spouse, your children, a friend in need, or someone you don’t even know. Your prayers will make all the difference in the world. It may not change their situation, but God can change their outlook or attitude. Remember, that He may not always answer in the way we desire, but He will answer in His way and in His time—Always. God is the only One who is all-sufficient and can supply the deepest needs in seemingly impossible situations. For truly nothing is impossible with God.

Next time God brings someone to your mind out of the clear blue, pray for that person by name. There is no coincidence that they are so strongly on your mind. They may need prayer. Our prayers move God deeply. He always listens, and He always answers. He promises.

“Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let Him sing songs of praise. Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord.” James 5:13-14

“The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.” James 5:16

“With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.” Mark 10:27

“Then the Lord answered prayer in behalf of the land, and the plague on Israel was stopped.” 2 Samuel 24:25

.”…then from heaven, your dwelling place, hear their prayer and their plea, and uphold their cause.” 1 Kings 8:49

“This is what the Lord, the God of your father David says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will heal you.” 2 Kings 20:5

No comments: